Course No. ED444o, ED544o
This independent study course focuses on putting the teacher in control of the classroom. The list of obstacles facing today’s teachers is enormous and this class will teach you alternatives to the typical methods that leave teachers feeling worn down and unsuccessful. This class will teach you how to:
- Eliminate power struggles and handle disruptions quickly
- Establish a climate of cooperation and respect
- Use natural and logical consequences to support your rules
- Conduct proactive, focused parent conferences
Ultimately, the result will be a more cohesive classroom – one where students enjoy learning, the need for discipline is reduced, and more teaching can occur every day. This class is appropriate for teachers of grades K-12.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Learn how to teach their rules so students will learn the rules.
- Understand how to maintain control of their classrooms, yet allow students choice and responsibility.
- Be able to create clear rules and guidelines for their classroom, with logical and natural consequences that are clear to students.
- Learn how to stop power struggles with students before they begin.
- Understand how to create a classroom of responsible students – responsible for their learning and responsible for their behavior.
- Be able to create a more respectful, caring, productive classroom.
Course text, Setting Limits in the Classroom by Robert J. MacKenzie, is available for approximately $13 on Amazon. ISBN: 0-7615-1675-1.