NO. OF CREDITS:
3 QUARTER CREDITS
[semester equivalent = 2.00 credits]
|WA CLOCK HRS:
James (Mario) Reaves
Without passion and sense of purpose, too many youth drift in life and school, falling short of their potential and becoming susceptible to drugs and alcohol, as well as academic underperformance. Educators in this course will learn how to use a proven program that engages students in grades 5-12 with what’s important for them, and helps prevent adolescent drug and alcohol abuse. Teachers show students a variety of short videos highlighting successful celebrities and cultural influencers from many different fields These adults share their stories and speak powerfully about how they found direction in life—how they found a Natural High, which is the name of the program. Videos are supported by curriculum that guides discussion, provides students with opportunities for reflection, and concludes with a variety of activities that take students deeper into the subject.
All materials are found online at no additional cost. Outcomes from the Natural High program are aligned with Common Core and the National Health Educator Standards. While the Natural High program continues to be rated highly as a drug prevention program, its premise of finding and leading a meaningful life applies to all youth. Natural High has helped millions of students since its inception twenty-five years ago. Course is appropriate for educators of students in grades 5-12, counselors, psychologists, and intervention specialists.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Upon completion of this course, participants will have:
Completion of all specified assignments is required for issuance of hours or credit. The Heritage Institute does not award partial credit.
Completing the basic assignments (Section A. Information Acquisition) for this course automatically earns participant’s their choice of CEUs (Continuing Education Units), or Washington State Clock Hours or Oregon PDUs. The Heritage Institute offers CEUs and is an approved provider of Washington State Clock Hours and Oregon PDUs.
UNIVERSITY QUARTER CREDIT INFORMATION
REQUIREMENTS FOR UNIVERSITY QUARTER CREDIT
Continuing Education Quarter credits are awarded by Antioch University Seattle (AUS). AUS requires 75% or better for credit at the 400 level and 85% or better to issue credit at the 500 level. These criteria refer both to the amount and quality of work submitted.
CREDIT/NO CREDIT (No Letter Grades or Numeric Equivalents on Transcripts)
Antioch University Seattle (AUS) Continuing Education Quarter credit is offered on a Credit/No Credit basis; neither letter grades nor numeric equivalents are on a transcript. 400 level credit is equal to a "C" or better, 500 level credit is equal to a "B" or better. This information is on the back of the transcript.
AUS Continuing Education quarter credits may or may not be accepted into degree programs. Prior to registering determine with your district personnel, department head or state education office the acceptability of these credits for your purpose.
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFORMATION
None. All reading is online.
None. All reading is online.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR TEACHING THIS COURSE:
Mario Reaves, M.Ed. ESA received his Masters Degree in Education from City University Seattle, Washington. He received his BA from Central Washington University. He has worked for the past 24 years as a public school counselor in the state of Washington. Mario currently works for the Clover Park School District. Mario served as a Professional Education Board member for City University of Seattle. He has been recognized locally and nationally for the proactive work that he does with students, teachers and his surrounding community. In 2011 Mario was named Natural High’s national Educator of the year. Mario’s passion is to motivate both students and staff to be their best. He has logged over 5000 hours of classroom instruction time teaching from a comprehensive counseling curriculum. His favorite, he admits, is Natural High’s curriculum. For 10 years, Mario was a district trainer for staff certification on how to de-esculate agitated and aggressive students. Mario is also a state certified mediator. Mario coached at the high school level for 14 years in football, basketball and baseball. In 2001 Mario was named Washington State coach of the year in the 2A Nisqually League. Prior to working in Education, Mario worked for 16 years for Washington State’s largest mental institution. As an Institutional Counselor he helped take care of many patients who were there because of drug abuse.
When not motivating others, Mario’s Natural Highs are Family, Fishing, Golf and Singing.
HOOKED ON SUCCESS: Helping Students Discover Passion & Purpose In Life
1. Sundt, Jon. "Founders Story". https://youtu.be/QxESuEL68wM, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube, 7 Oct.2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2018.
2. Young, Author: Emma, et al. “Iceland Knows How to Stop Teen Substance Abuse but the Rest of the World Isn’t Listening.” Mosaic, 17, Jan. 2017.
3. Decades of Scientific Research That Started a Growth Mindset Revolution.” The Growth Mindset – What Is Growth Mindset – Mindset Works.
4. Duckworth, Angela Lee. "Grit". https://embed.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_grit_the_power_of_passion_and_perseverance#, Naturalhigh.org, TedTalks, 9 May. 2013. 16 Apr.2018.
5. Bleu, Corbin. "Corbin Bleu – Actor, Dancer & Performer" https://youtu.be/dtOtm2eNhs8, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube, 5 Sept. 2014. Web. 16,Apr. 2018
6. Bernardo, Wuv & Sandoval, " Wuv Bernardo & Sonny Sandoval – Members of P.O.D" https://youtu.be/Fa57GbO0s2g, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube, 24, Jan. 2018
7. Hensen, Darrin, "Darrin Henson – Choreographer" https://youtu.be/7bGdYINHXRQ, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube. 20 Aug. 2013
8. Harrison, Queen, "Queen Harrison – World Champion Hurdler & Sprinter" https://youtu.be/m89wBdYrCWA, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube. 28 Sept. 2015
9. Hamilton, Bethany, "Bethany Hamilton – Pro Surfer, Author of ‘Soul Surfer" https://youtu.be/b6kUDZpmJnU, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube. 7 Oct. 2013
10. Gallery, Jaiden, "Jaiden Gallery-2017 Winner" naturalhigh-78n06pcknx6mbax.netdna-ssl.com, Naturalhigh.org. 2017
11. Nhi Huynh, Van, "Van Nhi Huynh 2016 Winner" https://youtu.be/e6FjdZKMqio, Naturalhigh.org. YouTube. 6 Jun. 2016
12. Jivani, Sanah, "Sanah Jivani 2015 Winner" naturalhigh-78n06pcknx6mbax.netdna-ssl.com, Naturalhigh.org. 2015
13. Common Core State Standards, naturalhigh.org/core-curriculum/, Naturalhigh.org. 2018
14. CDC National Health Education Standards 1-8, www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/SHER/standards/index.htm, Naturalhigh.org. 2018
15. Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum,www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/sher/characteristics/index.htm, Naturalhigh.org 2018
16. Rivera, Angel, "I feel like I don't have any goals", https://youtu.be/rFJY6MAY8TA. YouTube, 29 Mar. 2013
17. TeachToughStaff, https://www.teachthought.com/learning/25-ways-to-promote-passion-based-learning-in-your-classroom/. Teachthought, wegrow teachers. 2 May, 2018.