Course No. ED432P, ED532P
This course is designed to teach important Spanish skills that will allow staff members to gain the trust and confidence of Spanish-speaking students so that these students can feel confident, accepted, and be able to approach staff members with their specific needs and concerns. The ultimate goal is to relate to Spanish-speaking students and their parents through basic communication in their native language. Not only will this assist in building a positive rapport between the staff member and student, but it is also useful in supporting and encouraging the student to not be afraid of learning English.
The initial focus of the course will be on building basic fundamentals of the Spanish language, with an overall goal of learning to say necessary vocabulary and phrases for communicating with Spanish-speaking students and parents. Participants will also learn vital phone conferencing strategies for dealing with a Spanish-speaking parent, learn to use our “Spanish Progress Reports”, and understand how to properly solicit important information from the student and parent.
This course is appropriate for all staff members K-12 with limited or no Spanish language skills.
• $30 fee for the purchase of the course packet, workbook and audio material is payable to the instructor after registration.
• Once the instructor has received registration confirmation, she will email a course packet invoice directly to you.
The Co-Instructor for this course is Isis Tabares, M.A.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- The fundamentals of proper Spanish pronunciation.
- An extensive Spanish vocabulary pertaining to the school setting.
- To welcome a native Spanish-speaking student to class and make him or her feel comfortable.
- Key strategies for holding a live or phone conference in Spanish.
- To convey and solicit specific information to or from the Spanish-speaking student.
- How to use our Spanish/English progress reports to inform parents of the student’s positive or negative classroom behaviors.
- Over 100 specific helpful phrases in Spanish to build a positive rapport with Spanish-speaking students.
• $30 fee for the purchase of the course packet, workbook and audio material is payable to the instructor after registration. • Once the instructor has received registration confirmation, she will email a course packet invoice directly to you.
The course was awesome, and I would definitely take more courses through The Heritage Institute.