Course No. ED463v, ED563v
Most lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) students don’t feel safe in our schools. Although progress has been made, a recent study by GLSEN shows that 85.2% of LGBTQ students experienced verbal harassment and over 65% of this group avoid school functions and extra-curricular activities. This new online course will open communication lines between K-12 educators to share techniques and strategies to build safe, effective learning environments for students of all genders and sexual orientations. The LGBTQ Student class assignments will help educators build vocabulary, communication and advocacy skills that will be reflected in the confidence of their students to not only feel safe, but to thrive in school.
This course is appropriate for teachers of all subjects, grades K-12. Internet access is required, along with course text book; Safe is Not Enough: Better Schools for LGBTQ Students. (available on Amazon.com for $20, used.)
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants will have:
- Greater awareness for the importance of LGBTQ-inclusive schools
- Enhanced knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ issues facing today’s students.
- Analyze state-specific statistics on LGBTQ issues such as bullying, absenteeism and participation in extra-curricular activities.
- Compare and contrast the effectiveness of interventions such as “Safe Spaces” and LGBTQ-friendly schools.
- Enhance communication with students regarding LGBTQ issues.
- Develop effective LGBTQ-inclusive lessons & curricula
- Identify federal laws and school policies new and relevant to bullying and LGBTQ issues.
- Identify online and community resources available to enhance the education of teachers, students, parents and administrators.
Text, Safe is Not Enough: Better Schools for LGBTQ Students, cost approximately $20 on Amazon.com.
This was an excellent, well-designed course. Thank you!
7th Grade Teacher
This course was fantastic and the instructor extremely responsive and helpful.
6th Grade Teacher
I found this class to present a lot of food for thought and introduce me to some valuable resources for my classroom and for online teaching this year. I have already shared the main book for this class at my first staff meeting this year. Thanks!
7th Grade Teacher