Math & Science
Course No. ED458n, ED558n
Many students lack basic numeracy – the ability to think through math problems logically, solve problems, and apply math outside the classroom. This independent study course outlines nine critical thinking habits that foster numeracy and details practical ways to incorporate these habits into your instruction. The text, Teaching Numeracy: 9 Critical Habits to Ignite Mathematical Thinking, refers to Common Core Standards, NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) Standards, and numerous successful mathematical literacy practices. Included in each section is a “How Can I Do This in My Math Class…Tomorrow?” application section with multiple ideas and methods to incorporate numeracy into your classroom. No more will students arrive at wildly wrong answers and have no idea how or why!
This course is appropriate for teachers K-12.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Explore the concept of numeracy and its relation to overall student success.
- Implement practical ways to incorporate numeracy habits into their classrooms.
- Transform mathematics learning from simply “doing the math” to “thinking about the math process.”
- Monitor students’ understanding of mathematics and mathematics vocabulary.
- Create numeracy-rich lesson plans
- Represent mathematics nonlinguistically.
Text, Teaching Numeracy: 9 Critical Habits to Ignite Mathematical Thinking, is approximately $20 on Amazon.