Course No. ED450i, ED550i
How delightful would it be if every student came to class on time, had their assignments done and did their best work? Unfortunately this is not the case. While many kids are organized, many kids are not. These disorganized kids can be disruptive; they are stuck in a downward spiral of failure and let’s face it - they drag down your school’s test scores. In this course you will learn eight ways kids can be disorganized and the practical plans for getting your students to take charge of their own destinies.
This independent study course is appropriate for teachers, administrators, support staff and parents. Required text, That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week is available from Amazon.com for approximately $11.
In association with Amazon, you may purchase this text by using the link provided.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants will know:
- The conceptual framework for understanding chronically disorganized and discouraged students based on Ana Homayoun’s work.
- The 5 factors that typically play a role in why organization and time-management are significant issues for disorganized students
- The beneficial vs. the detrimental attitudes/approaches that “supporting adults” contribute to student difficulties
- The 8 different types of (dis)organizational styles from the text and be able to identify them in students.
- The 6 target areas to potentially consider in an over-arching plan (i.e.: goal-setting, organizational tools) and the accompanying strategies for students and the supporting adults to implement.
- The complexities involved for students with “specific considerations” (LD students, multiple homes, illness) and the accompanying strategies for these students and supporting adults to implement.
That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and LifeISBN# 9780399535598 by Homayoun, Ana Tarcherperigee
$11 for the course text, That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week from Amazon.com. Also available from other booksellers and at local and some school libraries.
Lori is a great teacher! She is super helpful and always able to answer my questions!
My instructor was well-informed and responsive to my assignments in a very timely manner. This is a very good course, as much for parents as for educators, filled with interesting and pertinent information.
I have loved working with Lori Gibson and find her online classes to be useful in my teaching. She is quick to give feedback. I enjoy being able to do a book study at my own pace and earn clock hours for it. Very convenient!
I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I also appreciate the applicability of the content and the instructor's comments.