Course No. ED458z, ED558z
The bad news is that poverty can create chronic, devastating changes in the brain. It would be easy to look at the statistics and want to give up. The good news is that there are powerful solutions to boost attendance, lessen behavior issues and turn your classroom into a high performance success, BUT you need the engagement strategies to help you do your job well. High performing students need high performing teachers. Every student deserves a caring engaging teacher. Attitudes and the strategies of yesterday are not enough.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Understood why engagement is a vital factor in achievement.
- Discovered factors crucial for engagement that are tied to socio-economic status.
- Discovered purposeful engagement strategies that allow you to upgrade your skill set.
- Discovered how you can create a high-energy, engaging, positive class.
- Focused on how to build cognitive capacity through engagement, greater student motivation and effort.
- Learned to deepen and sustain the learning and understanding of content.
- Learned to automate engagement and use instructional time more effectively.
- Discovered ways to empower students to take ownership of their own learning.
- Designed activities to create an exciting but realistic action plan, generate ideas, and implement the learning.
Text: Engaging Students with Poverty in Mind: Practical Strategies for Raising Achievement is available used on Amazon from $11 and up. I recommend that all of my students purchase the book and not download this one on an electronic device. It is meant to be a handbook for you.
I have been taking post-graduate classes for years. I think Brenda was an exceptional teacher. Besides the excellent academically-created course, her guidance, positive energy, patience, and support are something I appreciated. I want to take another class from her and recommend her without reservations to my colleagues. After 13 years of abusive and insulting principals I was demoralized and wanted to quit after 31 years of teaching. Brenda has relit the candle of hope for me, and I excited to use her material every day. I find it so valuable that I plan on writing some of her suggestions and strategies, And ideas and having them spiral-bound into a book to use everyday. Brenda is a blessing. I am looking forward to school and not dreading it as I have for the last 13 years. Sincerely, Cheryl A. Jackson
This course was fantastic. The course text was supplemented with great educational and inspiring videos. The instructor was very encouraging and enthusiastic, timely with her feedback, and offered great suggestions and advice.
11th Grade Teacher