Course No. ED445X, ED545X
How do we set boundaries and guidelines without it turning into a power struggle? Is the way we set up rules at the beginning of a year that important? Is there a way to help children understand parameters without getting them frustrated? Finding the balance between rules, guidelines, boundaries, and suggestions can be a difficult one for an educator. We need to be consistent in our approaches, yet flexible in working with each student. This class will challenge each person to evaluate their own personal guidelines and rules for their educational setting. We will investigate various strategies to teach children how to follow rules without them becoming oppositional and defiant. In addition, each educator will be asked to explore ways to modify and negotiate new ways of presenting their educational behavioral plans for students. At the end of this course, each person will have a clearer understanding of their own value system, how it impacts their approach to students, and a more defined process of developing specific classroom/school rules.
This is a course designed for all educators working within the school setting, Preschool through High School.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Evaluated individual rules in the school as they impact each student.
- Presented rules in a way that increases the responsiveness from students.
- Helped each child to negotiate their frustrations with boundaries without becoming oppositional.
- Applied effective strategies within the classroom to benefit “special needs” children.
- Defined rules, give clear examples, practice successful approaches, and integrate these ideas into the classroom/school setting.
- Assessed a student need and developed strategies to help increase the success of that child.
- Understood the difference between implied rules and specified rules.
Once you register, log onto the instructorʼs website at www.michaelsedler.com. Click on Classes, then scroll down and click on Establishing Rules & Boundaries manual. The manual will download as a PDF file to your computer.