History & Social Studies
Course No. SS412S, SS512S
In this diversified driving tour, K-12 teachers will explore at least 30 cultural and historic sites in the Portland Metro Area. Discover cultural museums, historic homes, poignant memorials, and a blend of the area's visual and performing arts. Along the way, participants will develop dozens of ideas for bringing the study of Portland's culture to your students, both in the classroom and on field trips.
The Co-Instructor for this course is Christopher Naze, M.Ed.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Studied the cultural history of Native Americans in the Northwest, including their lifestyles and their artwork.
- Learned the significance of Asian Americans in Portland, including Japanese American history & Culture, Chinese Culture, and other Asian influences, with visits to museums and gardens.
- Studied Pioneer History in the Northwest, by exploring museums, historic sites and historic homes.
- Explored the history of African Americans in the Northwest, with visits to historic sites and art works.
- Explored the history of aviation in the Northwest, with visits to several aviation museums and historic aviation sites.
- Learned the importance of art in and around Portland, by studying public art in museums, throughout the city of Portland, and in suburban areas, and how art helps shape the culture of the Metro area today.
- Learned the importance of remembering the past, by visiting several memorials in the metro area (Vietnam Veteran’s, Holocaust Memorial, Korean War Memorial) and historic cemeteries.
- Learned the importance of science, technology and transportation in today’s modern society with visits to the 3-D Museum of Photographic Art, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), the OHSU Aerial Tram and other locations.
A comprehensive workbook that includes the required reading, field journal, and Driving Tour is available from the instructor. See Order Form provided by The Heritage Institute after registration.