Course No. ED448L, ED548L
Scientists now know so much more about how our students learn than they did thirty years ago and it is time to upgrade your learning. Did you know that our brains are not really designed for thinking? Did you know that most of what we learn is forgotten immediately? This book offers you the research and arguments to explain why and much, much more. All K-12 and university educators in all disciplines will benefit greatly from understanding the biological and cognitive basis for learning explained in this book. The nine principles are presented with clear, easy-to-understand applications for the classroom; the text is packed with strategies that will be useful in your classroom. If you are a teacher who is looking to increase your effectiveness, then this is the best teachers’ guide around.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Understood why people are curious but not naturally good thinkers.
- Discovered the valuable role of factual knowledge and understanding what students know.
- Developed a plan from a cognitive perspective that will consistently provide pleasure and success when solving problems.
- Reflected on the concept that proficiency requires practice, repetition, and mastery over time.
- Determined if learning styles and multiple intelligences are still a valuable tool for the classroom.
- Discovered the new research about IQ what can be done to optimize environmental factors with genetic ones.
- Reviewed teaching practices based on conscious effort and feedback.
- Learned how to maximize time in the classroom based on focused and knowledgeable planning.
Text, Why Don’t Students Like School?, is approximately $15 from Amazon.com.
Brenda does a wonderful job of online teaching. I will remember the things she did and said that stuck with me, and I'll work on integrating them into my classes for the rest of the year. I felt that she truly cared about my learning and the learning of my students …THANK YOU!
I have been in education since 1992 and have taken tons of classes and workshops over those years. Each time I take a class from Brenda McKinney I am never disappointed. Brenda does an amazing job of pushing her students, encouraging them to improve their craft, and always providing great feedback. I like to save all her comments. I find myself rereading and referring to them often. She makes me want to be a better teacher and person. The Heritage Institute is lucky, indeed, to have her on their staff. I will keep taking her courses and encouraging others to as well. Thank you Brenda, you're truly a special teacher, leader, and guide!
I really enjoyed Brenda McKenny. The material challenged me and inspired me to be a better teacher for my students. I would take a class from her again. I would recommend a friend to take a class from her she is great.
GREAT class. I learned a lot and the assignments were relevant and made a positive impact on my teaching.
Many "a-ha" moments about the brain research instructor's comments were insightful and helpful. Thank you!
I was very pleased with this coarse. Brenda McKinney was extremely prompt in responding to my papers. She always had great feedback. I now plan to get all my continuing education hours from Heritage Institute.