Course No. ED472s, ED572s
Social Media - it connects our students, yet also divides our students. Many questions surround the use of social media:
- How much time on social media is too much for our students and children?
- What are the effects of social media on students – their brain development, identity, possible addiction, and well-being?
- Is there a positive side to social media?
- How can we keep our students safe from the negatives of social media, such as cyber-bullying?
- What advice can we share with our students and their parents to make the most of social media?
This class will delve into these questions (and more). You will learned about the positives and negatives about social media, form your own answers to some of these questions, and come away with ways to advise students and parents about the best way to use social media and the best ways to safe safe on social media.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- An understanding of the effects of social media on student development, identity, and well-being.
- Knowledge of cyber-bullying and how to combat it.
- Understanding of how social media affects all of use as users of the platform - whether we know it or not.
- Comprehensions of why teens are so drawn to social media and how we can help them make good choices.
- The ability to advise parents and teenagers on how to manage social media in a safe manner.
This course was eye opening and helped me to see a different side of social media, and to remember what the adolescent brain is going through in general and then with the added effects of social media. Much of what was described in this course that was geared towards adolescents is applicable to adults as well. The articles, videos and resources were all very helpful, and the assignments were meaningful and can be used in the classroom which is awesome to already have assignments ready to go and ones that I can build from.
8th Grade Teacher
This was my first experience with The Heritage Institute and I was blown away. The content was interesting and applicable to my teaching. The cost was much better than at other online universities I've looked into for university credit. Suzanne Warner was a kind, responsive instructor. While I didn't really like the textbook, the other materials were well-balanced and informative. I will definitely take another class and highly recommend The Heritage Institute. Keep up the great work!
7th Grade Teacher