Course No. ED465i, ED565i
Teenagers are both incredibly delightful and “occasionally” frustrating. While that may not be news to you, why teenagers behave the way they do is, indeed, news to many of us. Recent research has helped create a significant body of study and literature that explains the developmental phases our teens go through. Based on recent research on the teen brain, this course helps you navigate the labyrinth of emotions, developmental differences, and entertainment we often call “the teenage brain.”
Reasons for signing up for this class will vary, but one of these might fit you:
- You have a teenager yourself,
- You are a middle school or high school teacher,
- You have heard the term “executive functioning” over and over again and are interested in knowing what it actually is.
- You are curious about why teenagers act the way they do.
This course is appropriate for teachers K7-12. Text, Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential, used on Amazon approximately $10 - $15.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Gained an understanding that the teenage brain is not yet fully developed.
- Gained an understanding of the frontal lobe or “The CEO of the brain.”
- Explored the role of executive functioning and how the frontal lobe controls it.
- Learned a variety of strategies to help students improve their executive functioning skills.
- Learned how to move from theory to practice.
Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potentialby Dawson, Peg, Guare, Richard
Text, Dawson, Peg & Guare, Richard. Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential. 2009. Guilford Press. SBN# 1593854455, is approximately $17 on Amazon.com or another bookseller of your choice. The text may also available at local and school libraries for free.
I appreciated that I was able to see what other student responses were in relationship to the material. The instructor gave timely feedback and was helpful. Course material was varied and the book was great.
I truly enjoyed taking this course. It was fantastic!
7th Grade Teacher
This course was well-designed. The assignments were meaningful and the format easy to follow.
6th Grade Teacher