Counseling & Special Ed
Course No. ED453i, ED553i
Imagine looking out on your classroom and knowing that every student has a clear, receptive mind, is engaged, and is ready to learn. Unfortunately, this is rarely what we see in our classrooms. Instead, too many students seem preoccupied, isolated, withdrawn, nervous or overwhelmed.
It is estimated that 1 out of every 5 students in America suffers from a diagnosable anxiety disorder. And it is further suggested that, unchecked, anxiety can result in school failure, social isolation and missed opportunities. The purpose of this course is for educators to increase their understanding of anxiety and learn how to support students, and their parents, who are dealing with this disorder.
This independent study course is appropriate for Pre-K -12 teachers, administrators, support staff and parents. Note: The book, Growing Up Brave, was written for parents, however it is an excellent resource for understanding and supporting our anxious students and their parents.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Known a definition of anxiety and be able to provide an overview of the differences between normal and excessive fears/anxiety.
- Known what “growing up brave” means according to the work and research of Dr. Donna Pincus.
- Understood the general outlines of six (6) major childhood/adolescent anxiety disorders and their symptoms.
- Known how significant anxiety can negatively impact a student’s academic, social and physical development.
- Identified the three (3) components that make up the “cycle of anxiety” and how they interact to perpetuate anxiety in anxious children and adolescents. How the “cycle of anxiety” works and typically perpetuates an increase or at least maintenance of the child or adolescent’s anxiety.
- An overview of some of the research-based interventions/ treatments that can work to help children/adolescents lessen anxiety and promote bravery.
- Learned some of the ways that educators can best support anxious students (and their parents) in the school setting.
Text, Growing Up Brave, is approximately $8 from Amazon.
I have always found the courses offered by THI to meet my needs. This course was very thought-provoking and enlightening. I want to thank Lori; she is the best.
1st Grade Teacher