Counseling & Special Ed
Course No. ED453i, ED553i
Imagine looking out on your classroom and knowing that every student has a clear, receptive mind, is engaged, and is ready to learn. Unfortunately, this is rarely what we see in our classrooms. Instead, too many students seem preoccupied, isolated, withdrawn, nervous or overwhelmed.
It is estimated that 1 out of every 5 students in America suffers from a diagnosable anxiety disorder. And it is further suggested that, unchecked, anxiety can result in school failure, social isolation and missed opportunities. The purpose of this course is for educators to increase their understanding of anxiety and learn how to support students, and their parents, who are dealing with this disorder.
This independent study course is appropriate for Pre-K -12 teachers, administrators, support staff and parents. Note: The book, Growing Up Brave, was written for parents, however it is an excellent resource for understanding and supporting our anxious students and their parents.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Known a definition of anxiety and be able to provide an overview of the differences between normal and excessive fears/anxiety.
- Known what “growing up brave” means according to the work and research of Dr. Donna Pincus.
- Understood the general outlines of six (6) major childhood/adolescent anxiety disorders and their symptoms.
- Known how significant anxiety can negatively impact a student’s academic, social and physical development.
- Identified the three (3) components that make up the “cycle of anxiety” and how they interact to perpetuate anxiety in anxious children and adolescents. How the “cycle of anxiety” works and typically perpetuates an increase or at least maintenance of the child or adolescent’s anxiety.
- An overview of some of the research-based interventions/ treatments that can work to help children/adolescents lessen anxiety and promote bravery.
- Learned some of the ways that educators can best support anxious students (and their parents) in the school setting.
Text, Growing Up Brave, is approximately $8 from Amazon.
Lori was great to work with. She provided prompt feedback and was very helpful
I LOVED this class!! It was so, so helpful and relevant. This was very helpful information I will be using. I very much appreciated and enjoyed Lori as an instructor. She was great! I also appreciated the help of Joslin(not sure that is her name) in the registration office. She was helpful and reassuring regarding some concerns I had.
I really enjoyed Lori's course, Helping Anxious Students. I learned a lot of practical information that will help with my current caseload of students, as well as many in the future. Thank you, Lori!
I really appreciate the feedback from the Instructor and how quickly she responded.
Lori was kind and very flexible. I appreciated the personal attention she offered. I would definitely take another class with all of you.
I would like to commend Prof. Lori Gibson for her excellent communication. She was quick with her responses and great to work with. She made the learning experience fun, convenient, and inspiring.
I have always found the courses offered by THI to meet my needs. This course was very thought-provoking and enlightening. I want to thank Lori; she is the best.
1st Grade Teacher
This course and text were excellent and I have recommended it to many friends and colleagues. Lori is so quick in her responses and I am so glad I took this course! It has helped me personally and professionally so much!
People make the difference in businesses, and I appreciate the kindness and knowledge of Yvonne who helped me register for my course. My instructor Lori Gibson quickly responded to my assignments, and was always positive and informative with her feedback.
My instructor Lori was extremely helpful and responsive to all of my questions. Her comments on my assignments were knowledgable and very helpful.
Lori is the best instructor! I love taking her classes.
This course helped me understand a growing problem for students at my school. I am now more prepared to help students who suffer from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Thank you for offering this course!
Lori was very helpful in answering questions I had both related to the assignments and some beyond the scope of the assignments.
Great experience. My colleagues and I learned so much from each other by taking this course together.