Course No. ED465c, ED565c
This course focuses on helping students generate ideas for writing. Writing prompts are an excellent tool for inspiring young writers and effective writing prompts help brainstorm ideas. A variety of methods are introduced including written, visual, and video prompts, as a way to examine which approach works best for different learning styles. The course primarily helps develop basic creative writing skills, but can be applied to other types of writing as well. The focus of the class is to develop an enjoyment of writing and to learn how to have fun with it.
You do not need to work alone on these assignments and I encourage you to work with a group of teachers or group of your students on the lessons.
- Encourage creativity and the use of imagination
- Assist young writers with developing new ideas
- Promotes a fun approach to writing
- Develops basic creative writing skills
- Provides new teaching methods for writing lessons
- Promotes critical thinking and imagination
This course is appropriate for Language Arts teachers, grades 3-12, but may be adapted for other subjects as well such as Social Studies and Science. I will be happy to help teachers adapt the class for other subject areas, as well as for non-creative writing lessons.
The textbook for the course will be “1,000 Creative Writing Prompts, Volume 2: More Ideas for Blogs, Scripts, Stories and More” by Bryan Cohen ISBN-13: 978-1493664955 which sells for approximately $8 on amazon.com.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Identified writing prompts that are age appropriate for their classroom
- Described how they will use writing prompts in their classroom
- Selected writing prompts to go with classroom lessons
- Created lesson plans that use writing prompts
- Tested writing prompts in their classroom
- Evaluated which writing prompts work best in their classroom
$8 text fee to be paid to amazon.com. or another bookseller of your choice. The text may also be available at local and school libraries for free.
Professor Larson was fabulous. My schedule this summer was a bit hectic and he allowed me to tailor some of the assignments to directly connect to the work I was currently doing. A super helpful, interesting course!
10th Grade Teacher