Education, Teaching Wellness
Course No. ED477z, ED577z
This course is designed for K-12 teachers, both for a personal connection with nature and for helping students connect with nature. Teachers will explore the impact of the natural world on our bodies, minds, spirits, and overall sense of well-being. In addition, teachers will learn how being in nature benefits students, calms their nervous systems and enhances cognitive, observational, and creative problem-solving skills. Ways of connecting to nature will be shared that can be accomplished in all kinds of settings (including urban) and for different age groups. Teachers will learn theory about nature connection and engage in practices to connect with nature in simple ways. Increasing one's own comfort level in nature is an important factor in taking students out of the classroom. In addition, teachers will explore the profound impact that human connection to nature has on the planet itself. When a person feels connected to nature and to the place, they are more likely to make decisions that are less ruinous for the environment.
Note: You need not have access to big expanses of wild space to do this course. It is designed to support teachers in all settings (urban, suburban, and rural areas).
400 & 500-Level participants, please note:
There is a $30 fee for the "Natural Intelligence Toolkit."
The PDF document will be sent after payment (Venmo or PayPal) is received by the instructor. Please contact the instructor if you require payment instructions.
You can download the PDF directly from the instructor's website (uses PayPal):
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.
1. Written an initial reflection about your own connections with nature; past and present.
2. Learned about what has been coined "Nature-Deficit Disorder.
3. Explored a "sit spot" practice.
4. Considered the power of children/students in saving the world.
5. Experienced "advanced" nature connection exercises.
6. Developed lessons plans or other ways of sharing about nature connection.
7. Explored a topic of special (choice) interest related to nature connection.