Health, PE & Coaching
HEALTH CURRICULUMS FOR K-12 EDUCATORS
Course No. HE402o, HE502o
This course is designed to enable K-12 grade educators to examine different components of the Health Curriculum for implementation in the classroom. This course will address the physical, mental, emotional, and social dimensions of health. The curriculum addresses and integrates education about arrange of categorical health problems and issues at developmentally appropriate ages including Nutrition, First Aid, Bullying, Emotional Health, Sex Education and Goal Setting for a healthy life. It also enables teachers to develop and demonstrate increasingly sophisticated health-related knowledge and skills.
This course will give teachers the opportunity to examine concepts to help motivate and assist students in the quest to maintain and improve their health, prevent disease, and reduce health-related risk behaviors. It includes active learning strategies to help students develop the knowledge and skills they need to avoid health risk behaviors. This course will also present reading materials and web sites with lesson plan ideas that are consonant with this material and its use with K-12 grade students.
This course will also provide video ideas for teachers preparing for major themes of
the Health Curriculum; many of these films are available at local libraries, from NetFlix, in video stores and/or for free trial and purchase from documentary film sources like The Video Project. You will choose eight (8) videos to examine for implementation in your classroom. If you choose NetFlix, a three-month subscription is about $30. (NetFlix also has an online video capability for those with a compatible operating system.) You will need to have access to both a DVD player and a VHS video player to enjoy the full range of media choices.
There is no additional charge for required text or materials. All reading is available online for free.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants:
1. Will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention and first aid.
2. Will have the ability to access and evaluate nutrition, health information, products, and services.
3. Will have the opportunity to analyze the influence of family, culture peers, community, media, and
technology on health and health behaviors including bullying.
4. Will have the opportunity to examine self-management and decision making skills to enhance health.
5. Will have the opportunity to examine interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
6. Will have the opportunity to examine decision making and goal setting skills to enhance health.
7. Will have the opportunity to examine strategies for emotional health for self, family, and community.
I really enjoyed taking this course and I am excited to use what I have learned this school year.
9th Grade Teacher
I found this class to really strengthen the content in my classes and has truly benefited my students.
12th Grade Teacher