Math & Science
Course No. MA401g, MA501g
Math is a universal language; it transcends cultural, economic, and social barriers. Learning the language of math involves more than a list of vocabulary words; it requires us to delve into evidence-based math practices to build competency and proficiency for our students to overcome achievement gaps and gain long-term mathematical success. This course will cover how to work with your math students to implement a math language that focuses on aiding all students in learning math. Participants in the course will gain tips and tools to identify the language functions of math standards, assignments, mathematical academic language, and general language to support students in your math classroom.
This course will benefit educators, coaches, and mentors working with grades 6-12.
Text: No text is required; all reading is online.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.
- Learned how to identify a language function and explain why it is important.
- Learned how to identify language functions of math standards.
- Familiarized themselves with academic language and how it supports learning.
- Learned how to identify mathematical academic and general language to support students in the math classroom.
- Gained tips and tools to work with evidence-based math practices that teachers, coaches, and mentors can use in the classroom.