Course No. ED459G, ED559G
Educators of English language learners (ELLs) are important advocates for their students. Whether you are a regular classroom teacher with ELL students in your class, or an ELL specialist, you have an important role in understanding the needs of English language learners and in helping to create a school environment that supports their academic and social success. This course will illustrate the unique needs and common challenges for ELL’s and offer concise strategies for becoming an advocate for ELL’s at both the classroom and school building level. This course is appropriate for personnel at all grades, K-12 including teachers, para-educators, counselors, and other support people.
Required Text: Advocating for English Learners: A Guide for Educators, 2014, by Diane Staehr Fenner. Corwin, ISBN: 978-1-4522-5769-3. Available for approximately $23.00 from Amazon.com
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Understand the need for advocacy for English Language Learners.
- Learn how teachers can collaborate to expand advocacy for ELL’s.
- Learn how to increase family involvement for ELL success.
- Demonstrate an understanding of specific strategies for ELL advocacy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current research in ELL education.
- Evaluate assessment, instruction, and educational environments for ELL success.
Text, Advocating for English Learners: A Guide for Educators, is approximately $23 from Amazon.com