History & Social Studies
Course No. ED464e, ED564e
In an era of social polarization and political gridlock we need to offer students the skills to respectfully tackle critical, contemporary issues. Finding common ground instead of differences forms the foundations of citizenship based on equality and shared sense of belonging. Our text, Teaching Social Studies in an Era of Divisiveness: The Challenge of Discussing Social Issues in a Non-Partisan Way, grapples with conflicting views of unresolved social issues—such as gun control, marriage equality, the Black Lives Matter movement, and immigration. Secondary social studies and language arts educators taking this course will be encouraged to engage their students in issue research, dialogue, and the opportunity to examine a subject from varying points of view. This course is 6-12 teachers.
Text on Amazon is approximately $26 new.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Understand the unique issues involved in civics education in the present political climate
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of approaches to educating about issues in social studies/civics classes
- Demonstrate understanding of differing points of view in society at large and in the classroom regarding current social issues
- Evaluate their own use and understanding of instruction and discussion techniques that promote tolerance and understanding of differing viewpoints
Text, Teaching Social Studies in an Era of Divisiveness: The Challenges of Discussing Social Issues in a Non-Partisan Way, is approximately $26 at Amazon.com
I have taken online courses and attended workshops through Antioch University/Heritage institute for 20 years and they have always been useful, worthwhile courses.
I enjoyed this course very much. I appreciate the the resources and suggestions offered by the text. I will definitely be practicing the and using the lessons I developed through this course.
I really enjoyed this class as it was very relevant to my current teaching position. Stacey was a great instructor, very attentive to my questions and punctual when responding to my completed assignments. Her comments were substantive and helped me further reflect on my original ideas in my assignment. Thank you!