Counseling & Special Ed
Course No. ED436U, ED536U
If you have students with one of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and you don’t know what they’re thinking or feeling, your days will be difficult – and theirs will be too. Most Pre-K through 12th grade educators have worked with ASD students all ready, and the prevalence of ASD is increasing. This class is an essential introduction to this puzzling disorder. Course topics include the potential causes, diagnosis, types of ASD, explanation of behavior patterns, and strategies/resources for educators. You can customize your assignments to match your circumstances.
This course is appropriate for Pre-K through grade 12 teachers, administrators, support staff and parents.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
- Understand what Autism Spectrum Disorders (Autism, Asperger's and PDD-NOS, etc.) are and be able to identify the distinguishing features between them.
- Be able to define what Autism Learning Disorders (ALD) and Autism Learning Styles (ALS) are. A
- Be able to discuss the importance of knowing what these are specifically in a student who has been given a diagnosis of ASD.
- Have a framework for understanding the current research and findings regarding the origins of ASD.
- Have numerous strategies/resources that you can use in your professional situation.
- Have numerous resources that you can share with colleagues, administrators, parents and your students, when applicable.
Text, Helping Children with Autism Learn, is available from Amazon for about $17.
Excellent course, but a ton of work for 30 clock hours (I put in way more than 30 hours).
I enjoyed working with Lori Gibson. I have 120 clock hours to complete and have plans to take another class from Lori Gibson.
This was a very imformative class. The instructor is wonderful. I learned a lot. Thank you.
Fantastic experience! Everyone was very helpful and Lori Gibson was very efficient and encouraging. Thank you!
I really found this course to be very valuable to help my understanding of autism.
6th Grade Teacher
The instructor went over and beyond to meet my needs.
Lori Gibson is a pleasure to work with. She is prompt, and helpful. Lori gave me insightful and supportive input. I learned a lot about the subject I was studying. I highly recommend taking classes via Ms. Gibson!
The material presented in this course was very out of date and sometimes incorrect. In multiple places the text stated that "over 70% of children with autism are mentally retarded". That statistic is wrong. If I were to go in to a school and even use the term mentally retarded I would be shown the door and asked never to return. This is only one example of many from the text. I took this course because I knew my education on the causes and treatment for autism were out of date. This course did absolutely nothing to remedy that situation. I regret spending money on this course.
Love the courses that I have taken so far.