History & Social Studies
Course No. ED459a, ED559a
K-12 educators will develop invaluable lessons for their students around issues of equity, social justice and the human rights of the child by examining the texts, "A Critical Inquiry Framework for K-12 Teachers: Lessons and Resources from the U.N. Rights of the Child" and "Teaching Human Rights: Practical Activities for Primary and Secondary Schools.”
In addition, a review of related literature, websites and videos will enable you to integrate these human rights issues into your curriculum and engage your students with thoughtful inquiry based lessons and activities. The development of a service-learning project will culminate the course.
Required texts: A Critical Inquiry Framework for K-12 Teachers, approximately $14 used and Teaching
Human Rights, approximately $15 used. Both are available at Amazon.com.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants will have:
- Read and reflected upon specific lessons, concepts and resources in the required texts.
- Select relevant human rights websites, videos and literature appropriate for classroom use.
- Participated in at least two locally based human rights related activities.
- Applied human rights knowledge and resources to the development of contextualized classroom lessons.
- Shared lessons, activities, text and resources with colleagues, parents and administrators.
A Critical Inquiry Framework for K-12 Teachers: Lessons and Resources from the U.N. Rights of the Child (Practitioner Inquiry Series)ISBN# 0807753947 by Allen, JoBeth, Alexander, Lois, Lytle, Susan L., Cochran-Smith, Marilyn Teachers College Press
Text, A Critical Inquiry Framework for K-12 Teachers: Lessons and Resources from the U.N. Rights of the Child, and Teaching Human Rights: Practical Activities for Primary and Secondary Schools are approximately $15 each plus shipping from Amazon.com.
Affording the luxury to reflect on my teaching is crucial for my growth and development as a teacher. It is with courses such as this that I get to push my thinking and practice to deeper levels. Thank you for the opportunity.
2nd Grade Teacher