Math & Science
Course No. MA400i, MA500i
Studies have shown that there is a connection between mathematics and reading. This course will help Pre K–3rd grade teachers incorporate and combine these two skills in a manner that is fun and meaningful to their students. When math is presented in such a manner it allows students to more easily make connections and therefore more easily be internalized. This class can be easily modified to fit the needs of any K-3 language or math program. Participants will be encouraged to use books that they already use in their classrooms as well as books that are easy to locate at their local or school libraries.
In association with Amazon, you may purchase this text by using the link provided. Click on the book picture below.
|We advise you to review and download the course syllabus before registering.||Syllabus|
Upon completion of this course, participants will have:
- Studied/reviewed the relationship between reading and math in the curriculum.
- Studied/reviewed curricular design and practices that result in integration of reading across the math curriculum.
- Reviewed personal classroom curriculum to create a list of content to help in determining type of math examples needed.
- Explored current classroom texts as well as new ones to help locate books that can be incorporated into the math classroom.
- Reviewed and designed lesson plans to help integrate reading based math activities that are aligned with state math standards.
- Be able to identify activities that can be used across the curriculum
The text Teaching Reading in Social Studies, Science, and Math, is approximately $5 used from Amazon.